PDA

View Full Version : Hampton High's Best Running Back

Crabber#9
12-08-2007, 05:30 PM
We all know that Ronald Curry was the best QB to ever wear a Crabber uniform. I won't to know who was the best running back to ever play at Hampton High.

Let's Hear It!!

We will go thru each position one by one.

Vergil Richardson
12-08-2007, 06:01 PM
We all know that Ronald Curry was the best QB to ever wear a Crabber uniform. I won't to know who was the best running back to ever play at Hampton High.

Let's Hear It!!

Robbie Robinson best Hampton High underrated RB to play in a Hampton uniform...never seen anyone with so much vision and balance. I played with him during my Fox Hill days...Robbie should have been going to Kecoughtan don't know what happened back then....lol and I'm a Phoebus High Grad...

Tbrown84_CrabbaFan
12-08-2007, 06:19 PM
Isaac Jennings late 70s

PD DAD
12-08-2007, 07:09 PM
Mike Stefanko, Todd Summers,Linwood Lumkins,

phsblue&gold
12-08-2007, 09:05 PM
Walter Ford was a beast in the late 80's/early 90's.

Oldschook
12-08-2007, 09:48 PM
Isaac Jennings late 70s

I. Jennings was a 3rd down back and nice. But the best was Woodrow Wilson 74 & 75. Hard runner with vision. When to N.C. St.
Robbie Robinson? When was he there? Never heard of him..

Oldschook
12-08-2007, 09:49 PM
Mike Stefanko, Todd Summers,Linwood Lumkins,
:confused::confused::confused:

phantom_aggie
12-08-2007, 10:56 PM
Walter Ford was just plain nasty.. but Hampton has had a number of great TBs. Shawn Hamlet... I don't know if he played TB, but he was dangerous.. .he took that punt to the house against us in 1990.. (remind you, the score was 22-14, PHOEBUS :lol:)

sixerfan885
12-08-2007, 11:34 PM
I. Jennings was a 3rd down back and nice. But the best was Woodrow Wilson 74 & 75. Hard runner with vision. When to N.C. St.
Robbie Robinson? When was he there? Never heard of him..

we can go at this one all day. Let me reach back in the archives a little bit

Woodrow Wilson (led a monstrous running attack 74/75 seasons)
Donnell Jones (ran with Woodrow Wilson)
Isaac Jennings (one of Hampton's quickest backs )
Paul "Cyclone" McGlone (lead team to 80' state championship)
George Lumpkins (Lenny's older brother, was all everything at DE)
Nate Reid (reminds me of Lil Daddy of the 84' team) excellent speed, explosive
Frank "Franco" Harris (lead team to 81' state championship)
James Scaife(spearheaded a triple threat attack on 81',82',83' teams)
Curtis Brown (opening game against Phoebus in 83', 90 yard run for td)
Rodney Sheppard (good lead blocker on 83' team, one of the hardest hitters)
Kevin "Lil'Daddy"(very explosive out of the backfield 84' team)
Lenwood Lumpkins (what more can i say about him during his 4 years at the crab)
Leslie Bailey (Lumpkins lead blocker, opposite DE of Lumpkins 83'/84'team)
Rodney "Rodo" Overton(one of four rotating backs on 85' state runner up team)
James "Rock" Blakeney (one of the best lead blockers during the 80's)
Robbie Robinson(Earl Campbell type runner, good vision, excellent speed for size)

What I have pointed out were guys who not necessarily ran for over 1K yards, but ones who contributed in certain ways. I know I'm missing alot prior to the 86' season and their were plenty afterwards. Shell road had so many backs it was hard to keep up with them.

Anyone who can add to the list from the middle 70's to the 80's please feel free to add on

These are the guys I have personally watched or played with. Excellent athletes back in the day

sixerfan885
12-08-2007, 11:38 PM
Robbie Robinson best Hampton High underrated RB to play in a Hampton uniform...never seen anyone with so much vision and balance. I played with him during my Fox Hill days...Robbie should have been going to Kecoughtan don't know what happened back then....lol and I'm a Phoebus High Grad...

he came to Hampton to play JV in 83'. He stayed on the side of foxhill that went to Hampton. That area was divided between Hampton/Kecoughtan school zones. He was definitely an excellent back, but when he was in the 11th grade he had Rodney Overton, Lenny Lumpkins in front of him. He had no choice but to split time with them. They had two good lead blockers Leslie Bailey and James "Rock" Blakeney"

Robbie got his fame his senior year

Crabber#9
12-08-2007, 11:41 PM
Walter Ford was just plain nasty.. but Hampton has had a number of great TBs. Shawn Hamlet... I don't know if he played TB, but he was dangerous.. .he took that punt to the house against us in 1990.. (remind you, the score was 22-14, PHOEBUS :lol:)

Sean is my cousin. He is the reason I wore #9 at hampton

sixerfan885
12-08-2007, 11:52 PM
Sean is my cousin. He is the reason I wore #9 at hampton

is this the same kid that played for FSU as a safety?

Crabber#9
12-08-2007, 11:53 PM
is this the same kid that played for FSU as a safety?

Yes

sixerfan885
12-08-2007, 11:58 PM
Yes

that kid was pretty good at FSU. I remember seeing him on ESPN alot

phantom_aggie
12-09-2007, 12:00 AM
that kid was pretty good at FSU. I remember seeing him on ESPN alot

He was a beast in High School...

he ran back that punt... all I remember is him getting to the sideline behind the wall.. that was formed on Phoebus' sideline no less (pretty sure that was just a way Mike Smith like sticking it in your face)... however, we did get the last laugh... 22-14!

phantom_aggie
12-09-2007, 12:07 AM

Let's Hear It!!

I tell you one thing.. .Yes Ronald Curry was the GREAT ONE... but Eric Hunter wasn't too far behind... he was a beast.. and he went to Purdue and did pretty well there... How many State Championships did he bring to Hampton?

Crabber#9
12-09-2007, 12:11 AM
I tell you one thing.. .Yes Ronald Curry was the GREAT ONE... but Eric Hunter wasn't too far behind... he was a beast.. and he went to Purdue and did pretty well there... How many State Championships did he bring to Hampton?

Yeah Big E was a flat out beast. Best pure passer by far. I think he may have won 1 I'm not sure. I was living in Bad Newz cheering for Warwick and Mencville when he was in school

phantom_aggie
12-09-2007, 12:34 AM
Yeah Big E was a flat out beast. Best pure passer by far. I think he may have won 1 I'm not sure. I was living in Bad Newz cheering for Warwick and Mencville when he was in school

Really.. you lived in Bad Newz... did you play in Rec league there... That is how Coach Smith first heard about you.. and moved you into Hampton zone?????

Crabber#9
12-09-2007, 12:41 AM
Really.. you lived in Bad Newz... did you play in Rec league there... That is how Coach Smith first heard about you.. and moved you into Hampton zone?????

I played with Doris Miller. Then played at Aberdeen in 7th grade. Then played on JV in 8th grade. Varsity as a Freshman. I moved to Hampton to follow in Sean's footsteps. Back then if you went to a Newport News school that chances of getting noticed by D1 schools were slim.

Crabber#9
12-09-2007, 12:48 AM
Didn't a guy who's last name was Murphy play for hampton in the early 90s. I think he rushed for over 2,000 yards his senior year.

Lynn Burke
12-09-2007, 10:32 AM
Alex Hill was a heck of a running back in the 68-69-70 era. He held the Group AAA state scoring record when he graduated.

Going way to the late 40s and early 50s, Billy Harrison and someone whose name escapes me flourished in Suey Eason's double wing offense.

And in the 1920s, Frank Peake was amazing (from what I've read) and continued on at Virginia Tech.

Crabber#9
12-09-2007, 11:39 AM
Alex Hill was a heck of a running back in the 68-69-70 era. He held the Group AAA state scoring record when he graduated.

Going way to the late 40s and early 50s, Billy Harrison and someone whose name escapes me flourished in Suey Eason's double wing offense.

And in the 1920s, Frank Peake was amazing (from what I've read) and continued on at Virginia Tech.

I saw film on Alex Hill. He was very good.

1975BIG REDMACHINE
12-09-2007, 02:06 PM
As we all know, offense wins games, DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS, which we did/do alot of at HAMPTON. Who you guys think was HAMPTON'S better Linebackers. Now I know before you answer it your going to start thinking of guys who made it to big Colleges and some pro. But the guy I have in mind never had the chance to go that far. He was mean, tall and skinny as a rail. He'd hit you and split your helmet, as he always wore a White Helmet, for he was always cracking his and others he hit.

Crabber#9
12-09-2007, 02:24 PM
As we all know, offense wins games, DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS, which we did/do alot of at HAMPTON. Who you guys think was HAMPTON'S better Linebackers. Now I know before you answer it your going to start thinking of guys who made it to big Colleges and some pro. But the guy I have in mind never had the chance to go that far. He was mean, tall and skinny as a rail. He'd hit you and split your helmet, as he always wore a White Helmet, for he was always cracking his and others he hit.

Myron Newsom IMO.

1975BIG REDMACHINE
12-09-2007, 02:30 PM
Without a doubt, a good one. But lets see what others say. Let me go ahead and get Banks out of the way, he is to obvious a name winner.

Crabber#9
12-09-2007, 02:30 PM
Without a doubt, a good one. But lets see what others say. Let me go ahead and get Banks out of the way, he is to obvious a name winner.

By far

1975BIG REDMACHINE
12-09-2007, 02:35 PM
I got to go ahead and put it on record. The guy I'm speaking of was J J Phillips. His younger brother Pedro, played at Tech. JJ, would hit , no stick you, and you'd still hurt the next day in practice. Can only imagine if I was on an opposite team.

Vergil Richardson
12-09-2007, 09:01 PM
Leslie Bailey was nice at LB and of course Rock...that goes withoug saying...the guy used to break helmets..

PD DAD
12-09-2007, 09:01 PM
Linwood Lumpkins was a tough LB for the Crab in mid 80's. What about Desmond Holloway, Sherwood Jones Stan Jones younger brother, he was on 3 state champ teams and started at LB for four years I think. Leslie Bailey was a better LB than RB. Who was the LB that went to MIssouri in the 80's was it Pugh #35 he was tough as nails

Oldschook
12-09-2007, 09:31 PM
A.Hill true was a great back..... Hard hitter Reggie Smith, J.J. Phillips & Jennings (mouse)...... They smell the ball and lites-out......... But it was good ones from every year. To many to name..... :D

sixerfan885
12-10-2007, 12:52 AM
Leslie Bailey was nice at LB and of course Rock...that goes withoug saying...the guy used to break helmets..

Bailey moved to LB after his sophomore season. Rock didn't really see that much time at LB. Terry Chase was the other LB with Bailey and then Sherwood Jones (Stan's little brother) took over.

sixerfan885
12-10-2007, 01:01 AM
Linwood Lumpkins was a tough LB for the Crab in mid 80's. What about Desmond Holloway, Sherwood Jones Stan Jones younger brother, he was on 3 state champ teams and started at LB for four years I think. Leslie Bailey was a better LB than RB. Who was the LB that went to MIssouri in the 80's was it Pugh #35 he was tough as nails

The guy you are thinking about is Darryl Page (played LB/FB for the 83' team) he took over Leroy Lee's spot during tour days right before that season started. It was him and Robert Banks holding it down. They were to nasty at that position

Lenny Lumpkins was a DE not a LB. He lined up opposite of Rodney Belfield his senior year.

Desmond Holliman played on the back to back state teams 81',82'. He was lined up with Victor Hill (probably the hardest hitting LB i have seen put on a Crabba uniform)

Lenny and Leslie were two guys who made their presence known their sophomore season as the starting DE's on that 83' team. Just ask Bethel about that game. That is when the first Hampton/Bethel game was played on a Friday night (because SAT's were on that Saturday) instead of the traditional Saturday afternoon game.

Reggie Woods was a beast as well. It was so many

GLYMONT
12-10-2007, 11:44 AM
Hampton has produced so many great athletes that it is difficult to pick just one at any position without some disagreement. The athletes today are much quicker and stronger than 25-30 years ago. I have seen a lot of great players, but I like Todd Summers as a RB and Linwood Lumpkins at LB.

Lynn Burke
12-10-2007, 11:59 AM
Desmond Holliman played on the back to back state teams 81',82'. He was lined up with Victor Hill (probably the hardest hitting LB i have seen put on a Crabba uniform)

Desmond Holloman now lives in the Stone Bridge zone in Loudoun County. I talked to him after the 2005 state championship game (he had two sons, a senior and sophomore) on that team. When I was up there for the Phoebus game two weeks ago, I saw his sophomore son is now a senior ... didn't see Desmond, though. There were so many people on the field after the game, I had a hard time finding the players I wanted to interview.

sixerfan885
12-10-2007, 01:55 PM
Desmond Holloman now lives in the Stone Bridge zone in Loudoun County. I talked to him after the 2005 state championship game (he had two sons, a senior and sophomore) on that team. When I was up there for the Phoebus game two weeks ago, I saw his sophomore son is now a senior ... didn't see Desmond, though. There were so many people on the field after the game, I had a hard time finding the players I wanted to interview.

I wonder if Desmond Holloman sons have the same potential as their father. I can remember him pacing the sidelines during the game keeping himself psyched up.

Mr Burke have you ever thought about doing a piece on "Where are they now" with some of the PD football athletes from the 70's/80's time frame?

I know it would exhausting to do, but quite interesting as well

Tbrown84_CrabbaFan
12-10-2007, 02:19 PM
I wonder if Desmond Holloman sons have the same potential as their father. I can remember him pacing the sidelines during the game keeping himself psyched up.

Mr Burke have you ever thought about doing a piece on "Where are they now" with some of the PD football athletes from the 70's/80's time frame?

I know it would exhausting to do, but quite interesting as well

I agree! Mr Burke that would be quite interesting. Looking forward to reading it!! LOL

Crabbers'D-Crew42
12-10-2007, 02:20 PM
I must have deleted the last post before I sent it....

Crabber # 9 ask the question, who is Hampton's Best Running Back?

Crabber #9 said he was the cousin of Sean Hamlett and wore #9 in respect to Sean.
Crabber #9 must be the "HAWK"
Ahmad Hawkins who was a great Corner, he was a good WR and he was a great Running Back. His first game he touched the ball out of the backfield... he ran for 200+ plus yards.
I coached Ahmad and he was a pretty good RB. He also played with a RB who was awesome and the brother of the Fenners. Darryl Smith was his name.
I played with Rod-O, Linwood Lumkins, Robbie Robinson, Mike Stefanko and Dwayne Murphy

Alex Hill, Woodrow Wilson and "Franco" Harris are Crabber runningbacks I watched and heard of as I grew up.
I also played running back @ Hampton. I received blessings from Franco and Rod-O to wear # 42!!!!

Robert Banks was a pretty good LB. Hampton will have another Robert Banks type next season. This kid is in 8th grade and he played JV.

Just remember this name........ "Dallas" that is his first name and you will hear of this guy soon.

Coach Smith's pride and joy is the LB Frat.

Tbrown84_CrabbaFan
12-10-2007, 02:26 PM
#66 for Hampton this year was a beast on defense. I'm not sure of his name but he was all over the field!!!

Tbrown84_CrabbaFan
12-10-2007, 02:28 PM
Yes by the way Crabber #9 is Hawkins he has a signature link on all of his post!!:D

sixerfan885
12-10-2007, 02:40 PM
I must have deleted the last post before I sent it....

Crabber # 9 ask the question, who is Hampton's Best Running Back?

Crabber #9 said he was the cousin of Sean Hamlett and wore #9 in respect to Sean.
Crabber #9 must be the "HAWK"
Ahmad Hawkins who was a great Corner, he was a good WR and he was a great Running Back. His first game he touched the ball out of the backfield... he ran for 200+ plus yards.
I coached Ahmad and he was a pretty good RB. He also played with a RB who was awesome and the brother of the Fenners. Darryl Smith was his name.
I played with Rod-O, Linwood Lumkins, Robbie Robinson, Mike Stefanko and Dwayne Murphy

Alex Hill, Woodrow Wilson and "Franco" Harris are Crabber runningbacks I watched and heard of as I grew up.
I also played running back @ Hampton. I received blessings from Franco and Rod-O to wear # 42!!!!

Robert Banks was a pretty good LB. Hampton will have another Robert Banks type next season. This kid is in 8th grade and he played JV.

Just remember this name........ "Dallas" that is his first name and you will hear of this guy soon.

Coach Smith's pride and joy is the LB Frat.

his pride and joy were most of the offensive players. Coach Mann was the DE's/LB's and DB's (because he love giving them that "contact") that was usually the slap on the helmet and that really hurt, especially if you were dog tired

Coach Mithell loved the linemen. He use to make us do the four corners each practice. That was real exhausting

and the late Coach Johnson use to make the JV do "crazy 8's" all of the time. Before, during and after practice

one water break in during practice and it was the hot water from the multi sprinkler

yep, those were the days

Class of '89
12-10-2007, 02:41 PM
Robbie Robinson and Linwood were the best modern day running backs. Robbie was bigger than most and didn't stop until 2 or 3 guys jumped on for the ride. Would of received a lot more attention if not for Terry Kirby.

Eric Hunter should go down as a close 2nd to Ronald Curry. Eric had a big arm and did win a state championship - 1988. Played 4 years at Purdue and was the Senior Bowl - MVP stacked up against all the top draft choices.

But don't sleep on Michael Bullock at QB - state championship - 1985.

I would love for a picture to come out with all of Coach Smith's State Championship QB's - Michael Bullock - 85, DeRocke Croom - 86, Eric Hunter -88, Ronald Curry - 95,96,97, Marquis - 98, Tyrod - 2005 & the QB's from the 75, 77, 80 and 81 state championship teams. Does anyone know who?

Lynne if you can make that happen, you are DA MAN!!!!!

By the way not only did Sean Hamlet go to FSU but he also acted in Any Given Sunday with Al Pacino, LL Cool J, and Jamie Fox.

Tbrown84_CrabbaFan
12-10-2007, 02:48 PM
You can find Eric Hunter on the corner of Queen St and Lasalle!! I see him all the Time!!!

sixerfan885
12-10-2007, 02:54 PM
Robbie Robinson and Linwood were the best modern day running backs. Robbie was bigger than most and didn't stop until 2 or 3 guys jumped on for the ride. Would of received a lot more attention if not for Terry Kirby.

Eric Hunter should go down as a close 2nd to Ronald Curry. Eric had a big arm and did win a state championship - 1988. Played 4 years at Purdue and was the Senior Bowl - MVP stacked up against all the top draft choices.

But don't sleep on Michael Bullock at QB - state championship - 1985.

I would love for a picture to come out with all of Coach Smith's State Championship QB's - Michael Bullock - 85, DeRocke Croom - 86, Eric Hunter -88, Ronald Curry - 95,96,97, Marquis - 98, Tyrod - 2005 & the QB's from the 75, 77, 80 and 81 state championship teams. Does anyone know who?

Lynne if you can make that happen, you are DA MAN!!!!!

By the way not only did Sean Hamlet go to FSU but he also acted in Any Given Sunday with Al Pacino, LL Cool J, and Jamie Fox.

What hurt Eric Hunter in the draft was Mel Kiper and the Purdue coach at the time. During combines back then, they pointed out that Hunter couldn't read defenses. This actually carried over to the draft were everyone heard about this and decided not to pick him up. This is one of the main reasons why he didn't catch on. I can remember during the Senior Bowl, he was a beast in that game

Bobby Atkinson was the qb for the 75' team, Keith Horne I believe was the qb for the 77' team

Let me help you out a little. The qb's for the 80/81 teams were Willie Smith (81) and Marco Stacy

Both of the guys were all everything when they played. They just added to what Hampton already had. Smith had the stronger arm of the two, but Stacy was a better runner by far. Stacy had a real good arm as well.

I can remember when Bullock first came on the scene playing for Hampton JV. Leroy Dickerson was the qb during the beginning of two a days and then Bullock showed up. Roy moved to receiver and Bullock did his thing. With Robbie Robinson, Thompson, Rodney Taylor (Tyrod's father) in that backfield, nothing could stop them. Derocke Croom was the "meat squad" qb.

If you go into Coach Smiths office, you will see all of the pics. I'm sure he didn't throw any of them away

Class of '89
12-10-2007, 03:06 PM
I actually spoke to a guy who played with Eric at Purdue and he said that Eric's Wunderlic score was a 2 or 3 - one of the lowest scores ever recorded. Which goes hand in hand with Mel saying that he can not read defenses.

Thanks for the info on the Qb's back in 75, 77, 80 & 81.

It would be great if they could all those qb's could come back and take a pic with Coach Smith all in the same shot with their rings.

sixerfan885
12-10-2007, 03:10 PM
I actually spoke to a guy who played with Eric at Purdue and he said that Eric's Wunderlic score was a 2 or 3 - one of the lowest scores ever recorded. Which goes hand in hand with Mel saying that he can not read defenses.

It would be great if they could all those qb's could come back and take a pic with Coach Smith all in the same shot with their rings.

that would be an excellent picture, but only one problem

back then, you only got state lettermen jackets for your championships,not rings

and i don't know who can still fit theirs :lol:

Crabbers'D-Crew42
12-10-2007, 03:14 PM
What happened to Eric was that he had the lowest score ever for a QB at the combines. He also was caught with dirty urine after the Senior Bowl.

SixerFan---- Terry Kirby didn't have any influence on Robbie and Linwood. Terry Graduated with me in '89. Linwood graduated while I was in the 8th grade and Robbie graduated when I was in the 9th grade.

Class of '89
12-10-2007, 03:25 PM
D Crew is right Kirby graduated in 89 and Robbie graduated in 86. But Kirby was getting all the pub and rightfully so since his freshman year. It didn't help that Robbie wasn't in his books and didn't qualify.

Vergil Richardson
12-10-2007, 03:39 PM

Man I'm a Phoebus fan to the bone...can't no one tell me that Eric couldn't have played in the pro's...**** Vince Young had a very low Wunderlic score as well...that guy was a beast...I loved watching him play the few games that I seen...

Vergil Richardson
12-10-2007, 03:42 PM
What hurt Eric Hunter in the draft was Mel Kiper and the Purdue coach at the time. During combines back then, they pointed out that Hunter couldn't read defenses. This actually carried over to the draft were everyone heard about this and decided not to pick him up. This is one of the main reasons why he didn't catch on. I can remember during the Senior Bowl, he was a beast in that game

Bobby Atkinson was the qb for the 75' team, Keith Horne I believe was the qb for the 77' team

Let me help you out a little. The qb's for the 80/81 teams were Willie Smith (81) and Marco Stacy

Both of the guys were all everything when they played. They just added to what Hampton already had. Smith had the stronger arm of the two, but Stacy was a better runner by far. Stacy had a real good arm as well.

I can remember when Bullock first came on the scene playing for Hampton JV. Leroy Dickerson was the qb during the beginning of two a days and then Bullock showed up. Roy moved to receiver and Bullock did his thing. With Robbie Robinson, Thompson, Rodney Taylor (Tyrod's father) in that backfield, nothing could stop them. Derocke Croom was the "meat squad" qb.

If you go into Coach Smiths office, you will see all of the pics. I'm sure he didn't throw any of them away

No one Mentioned Tim Barnes...he was nice too...

phantom_aggie
12-10-2007, 04:28 PM
What happened to Eric was that he had the lowest score ever for a QB at the combines. He also was caught with dirty urine after the Senior Bowl.

SixerFan---- Terry Kirby didn't have any influence on Robbie and Linwood. Terry Graduated with me in '89. Linwood graduated while I was in the 8th grade and Robbie graduated when I was in the 9th grade.

Sad, just sad. WASTE OF TALENT.

sixerfan885
12-10-2007, 10:35 PM

ok, someone is confusing me. When did i mention Terry Kirby? We were ahead of him in school. His brother Kenny came out a year before us. Linwood influence probably came from his brother George as they wore the same number (#10) in high school.

Crabber#9
12-10-2007, 10:37 PM
Yes by the way Crabber #9 is Hawkins he has a signature link on all of his post!!:D

Yep had to come say hello to all the Crabbers fan for all the support through the years.:D

sixerfan885
12-10-2007, 10:46 PM
No one Mentioned Tim Barnes...he was nice too...

you are right, how can I forget one of the hardest throwing qb's in the history of the Crab. I can remember when he first came on the scene (11th grade flag football class). This guy lit it up. I wonder why he didn't play JV with us. If he would have played, he would have started his 11th grade year over Jimbo Taylor and Jackowski.

Never seen an arm like that in a long time. People use to compare his arm to Willie Smiths (81')

Tim Barnes was hard to bring down as well

Crabbers'D-Crew42
12-11-2007, 08:56 AM
Man I'm a Phoebus fan to the bone...can't no one tell me that Eric couldn't have played in the pro's...**** Vince Young had a very low Wunderlic score as well...that guy was a beast...I loved watching him play the few games that I seen...

Eric Hunter did go to camp with the Cleveland Browns when Vinny Testerverdi and Bernie Kosar was there. He needed a little patience.

Tim Barnes was the qb my 8th grade year... he did throw the ball pretty hard. ERic Hunter probably threw the hardest.

Class of '89
12-18-2007, 09:51 PM
Okay so we've talked about the running backs and quarterbacks. What about offensive line - Elton Brown, Dwight Vick would have to be considered. What ever happened to Reginald "Babysaurus" Riddick. I thought he was going to go to Tenesseee. Dwight Stephenson of course, but not many offensive tackles come to mind.

crabbafrm86
12-18-2007, 10:36 PM
When you talk about lineman you have to talk about Tony (anpho)Jones, Ken Smith, Kevin Smith, and Carl Porter(first ninth grade starter for coach Smith).

PD Guy
12-18-2007, 10:42 PM

Eric "Rick" Hunter won 1 state title, his senior year 88-89. They beat Robinson High at Todd Stadium 21-18.

Crabbers'D-Crew42
12-19-2007, 09:32 AM
Yeah, I scored in that game... but Eric Hunter loss a state championship too. In 1987-88 we lost to T.C. Williams 10 -7 .

How can you ever speak of O-lineman without mentioning Dwight Stephenson?

100 years of players....

sixerfan885
12-19-2007, 07:28 PM
Yeah, I scored in that game... but Eric Hunter loss a state championship too. In 1987-88 we lost to T.C. Williams 10 -7 .

How can you ever speak of O-lineman without mentioning Dwight Stephenson?

100 years of players....

you are right, Dwight Stephenson class of 76' state championship team. This guy was a beast. He played with Simon Gupton and a host of others on that O line